Dr. Santosh Kumar Singh
Associate Professor , School of Liberal Studies
MA, MPhil and PhD, Jawaharlal Lal Nehru University Delhi (JNU)
Seminar / Conferences
Papers at National/ International Conferences:
- Invited speaker at Ambedkar International Conference, Bengaluru, organized by Karnataka Government, 21-23 July 2017. Paper titled: Fear, Faith and fusion of colors: When Ambedkar met Guru Ravidas at the Ghat of Varanasi.
- Paper titled ‘From Syncretism to Split: Examining Ravidasia religious movement in contemporary Punjab’, presented in a workshop on Religious diversity in Asia on 3rd June 2015, Jointly organized by CSSS,JNU and Aarhus University, Denmark.
- Paper titled ‘Understanding the Caste-Religion nexus: Ethnography of a Ravidassia dera in Punjab’, presented at SASNET Conference , Lund University, Sweden ( 20-22 May 2015)
- Presented a paper title ‘Fluid Faiths: Mapping the religious landscape of South Asia’ at South Asian University (SAU), Delhi, India, in a conference South Asia? Explorations of the region: From within and without, organized on 6th February 2015 by SAU in collaboration with the Japan Foundation
- Presented a paper titled, ‘Dalit mobilization in Punjab: Time to go beyond symbolism in a National Seminar on ‘Ambedkar and contemporary Indian politics’ on April 7, 2011 organized by Ambedkar University Delhi (AUD)
- Paper titled ‘Globalization and subaltern context of the sacred’ Presented at an International seminar organized by the Panjab University in collaboration with Manchester University at Chandigarh on 19th February 2010.
- Paper titled ‘ whither Indian villages: issues and perspectives’ presented at an international seminar at JNU, Delhi ( 7-8 March 2009)
- Presented a paper at the International Seminar on ‘History of Religions’, 8-10 Oct. 2007, organized by the Academic staff College, JNU, Delhi in collaboration with the Nehru Memorial Library, Delhi and the Embassy of Romania in India.
- Paper titled ‘Practicing Sociology at the Periphery: Experiences and Lessons from college level teaching in Uttaranchal and Chandigarh’ at a workshop on ‘Mapping Practices of Sociology and thinking the role of social sciences in India.’ At JNU, Delhi, 24-25 January 2007.
- Paper: Rural India in a global village: understanding the process of change at grass root level. At National seminar on “Globalization, Socio-Economic changes and Empowerment of the Marginalized: issues, strategies and prospects” organized by the Ambedkar Chair, JNU, 29-30 March 2005.
- Paper: Dynamics of Indian society: Stratification and Change. 19-20 Nov. 2004, National seminar at CSSS/SSS/SOC, JNU.
- Paper: Market and Changing Culture of Agriculture in Rural India. At a National seminar organized by the Dept. of Sociology, PU, Chandigarh, 27-29 March, 2003.
- Presented a paper titled ‘New approaches and strategies to tackle the problems and constraints of Development at grassroots’ at a National seminar organized by the dept. of sociology, M.B.Govt. P.G. College, Haldwani, Uttarakhand on 5-6 Nov. 2000.
- Delivered a talk on “Participant Observation: What and How to record during the fieldwork:” on 18th March 2019, at the 10 Day Ethnography Workshop for Research Scholars in collaboration with Anthropological Survey of India, Kolkata from 11th March to 22nd March, 2019, organized at Ambedkar University Delhi.
- Delivered a lecture on “Return to the roots: Revisiting some key premises of globalization”, at the 5th Refresher Course on Global Studies at Human Resource Development Centre, JNU, on 13th March 2019.
- Invited lecture in a National Seminar, sponsored by ICSSR, on “ From Roots to Routes: Socio-Economic Implications of Transnational Community”, on March 08, 2019, organized by Post Graduate Department of Sociology and Economics, Guru Govind Singh College For Women, Sector 26, Chandigarh
- Delivered a join lecture on “ Class and Caste in Modern India” to the visiting faculty delegates from Metropolitan State University, Denver, USA, at AUD, 12th June, 2018, organized by the Office of International Studies, MSU, Denver in partnership with AUD.
Teaching experience of more than two decades (Since 1999)
My Zone / Area of Expertise
Areas of specialization / Research Interests:
- Globalization, Caste/ Religious Movements in Punjab, India
- Rural Transformation and Change.
- Sociology of Agriculture / Agribusiness.
Current Research Engagement: Ravidassia Religious Movement in Punjab/ UP, Since 2011
(Supported by a Minor research grant by AUD’s Academic Committee on Research and Project Management, ACRPM)
- Advisor (Research): Oxfam India project on ‘Time use as a Marker of Inequality in India’ supported by the European Commission (Feb 2014 to May 2014). The study assessed disparities in time use across different social groups and locations and was conducted across five locations in Delhi, Uttar Pradesh and Orissa.
- Honorary Member, State Level Task Force for the implementation of SSA, RMSA-Government of Haryana (2010).
- Member of the Core team, constituted by the Chandigarh Administration to devise strategies and implement plans for its “Value the Girl Child Campaign”. The assignment entailed organizing seminars and workshops for various target groups and providing sociological perspective to the campaign. (2007-2009).
- Worked as a Social Scientist with the Netherlands funded Rural Water Supply and Sanitation project at Kanpur, U.P. for JPS- Associates, Management Consultants, Delhi (1998).
- Invited as a discussant for a panel discussion on the book by the Sage Publishers, “Warzone Tourism in Sri Lanka: Tales from darker places in paradise”, by Professor Sasanka Perera, on 13th January, 2017 in India International Center, Delhi.
- Speaker at a panel discussion on 'Knowledge, Exclusion and Ethics- Issues Emerging from Research Focusing on Exclusion' from 11:15 am - 1:00 pm on 7 May 2014. This was part of a workshop ‘Effective Research for Development Practices and Policies’ that Oxfam organized at India International Centre Annexe 40, Max Mueller Marg, Lodi Estate, Delhi 110003 in collaboration with the European Commission.
- Invited as a panelist to participate in a National seminar organized by Dr. K.R.Narayanan Centre for Dalit and Minorities studies, Jamia Millia Islamia, Delhi, 19-20 November 2013 ( Title of the paper Between the Devil and the Divine: Exploring the caste-religion dynamics among the Ravidasis of Punjab).
- Invited to deliver a lecture to the MPhil/PhD Students at JNU, SSS/SSS/SOC. The title of the paper was: Train to Begumpura: Understanding the dynamics of Ravidassia identity articulation in Punjab.
- Delivered a special lecture on the theme ‘Innovation and Entrepreneurship in agriculture: The role of society and community’ at the Centre for Science Policy at JNU, Delhi on 10th April 2012.
- As a panelist gave a talk on ‘Dalits, Deras and the Diaspora: Understanding the caste conundrum in Punjab’ in a National Seminar organized by the Political Science Department, Delhi University on 24th March 2012
- Invited as a speaker for a panel discussion on ‘Relevance of Social Theory’ by South Asian University (SAU), Delhi on 17th November 2011.
- Invited to speak on the theme ‘Globalization and the phenomenon of Dera in Punjab’ at the UGC Sponsored 33rd Refresher course in Sociology at Academic Staff College, JNU, Delhi on 9th March 2011
- Delivered a lecture on ‘Understanding Caste’ on 4.10.2010 in a workshop organized by Institute of Correctional Administration Sector 26, Chandigarh for police officers of Punjab, Haryana & Chandigarh.
- Delivered a lecture on ‘Poverty, Illiteracy and social harmony’ in a workshop organized for the NSS Programme Officers of Himachal Pradesh at Dr. Y.S. Parmar Agricultural University, Nauni Solan (H.P.) on 12 May, 2010.
- Invited as a panelist to speak on ‘Democracy, Pluralism and Police’ in a workshop organized by the Institute of Correctional Administration, Sector 26, Chandigarh for the police officers of Punjab, Himachal Pradesh and Chandigarh on 22.04.2010
- Delivered a talk on ‘Declining Sex Ratio in Chandigarh: a case of Mistaken Modernity’ to the pre service teachers of ETT, under the Population Education Project organized by the State Institute of Education, Chandigarh on 22nd January 2010.
- Delivered a talk on ‘Globalization and Health’ at School of Public Health , PGIMER, Chandigarh, at a workshop on Health promotion (18-30th Sept. 2008), on 25th Sept., organized by the SPH, PGI in collaboration with Public Health Research and Development Foundation, India.
- Invited to deliver a series of lectures to the students of Masters in Public Health at the School of Public Health (SPH), PGIMER, Chandigarh on issues ranging from gender and social discrimination in India to globalization and inter-faith dialogue. (1-12 Oct. 2007
- Supervised: 04 MPhil (Currently supervising 03 MPhil (2013-15) Centre for Development Practice, AUD
Member (Research/Academic bodies)
- Member, Editorial Board, International Journal on Humanistic Ideology
- ISSN 1844 – 458X, a biannual journal published from the Cluj University Press, Romania, European Union, http://www.socio.humanistica.ro/
- Life member (LMI-1931), Indian Sociological Society (ISS), Delhi.
- Convener, Research Studies Committee (RSC) School of Liberal Studies, SLS, AUD
Awarded Junior Research Fellowship (JRF)/NET by the UGC in Sociology
Book Chapters/ Commentary/ articles
- Singh, Santosh Kr. (In Press). “Fluid Faiths of South Asia: Ravidassia Movement in Punjab, India, as a microcosm”. In Another South Asia: Questions, Rhetoric and Quests. Delhi. PRIMUS
Work in Progress:
- Edited volume entitled Village India: Getting real with the rural (Orient Blackswan)
- Religious Diversity in Asia by Jorn Borup, Lene Kuhle, Marianne Q Fibiger (Book Project with Springer International and Aarhus University Denmark)
- Singh, Santosh Kr. 2016. De-ploughing the “Rural”: Urban Myths about rural consumption in the Economic and Political Weekly. Vol. 51, Issue No. 25, 18 Jun, 2016 (Web exclusive).
- Singh, Santosh Kr., 2011. “Globalization and Religious Identities in India: Understanding the Subaltern Context of the sacred”. In Mihaela Gligor and Sherry Sabbarwal (ed.) Patterns in Philosophy and Sociology of Religions. Jaipur: Rawat Publications
- (ISBN: 81-316-0388-1)
- Singh, Santosh Kr. 2010. “Practicing Sociology on the outside edge”. In Maitrayee Chaudhury (ed.) Sociology in India: Institutional and Intellectual Practices. Jaipur: Rawat Publications. India
- (ISBN: 81-316-0350-4).
- Singh, Santosh Kr. 2008. “Sacred as Profane: Changing Contours of Religion in India”. In Mihaela Gligor and Mac Linscott Ricketts (ed.) Professor Mircea Eliade: Reminiscences. Kolkata: Codex Publishing House..
- (ISBN: 978-81-906429-0-3).
Reviews (In academic journals):
- R.S.Deshpande and Saroj Arora (ed.). 2010. Agrarian crisis and Farmer suicides. New Delhi: Sage Publications, Pp. 436, Rs. 895. ISBN 978-81-321-0512-1(HB), Sociological Bulletin.
- Idea of justice by Amartya Sen., Allen Lane, Penguin, Delhi, In International Journal on Humanistic Ideology (IJHI), vol. I1, No. 2, 2009, Autumn-Winter, Cluj University Press- Napoca Romania
- Patterns of middle class consumption in India and China by Christopher Jafferlot and Peter Van der Veer, Sage, Delhi. IJHI, vol. 1, No. 2, 2008, Autumn-Winter, Cluj University Press- Napoca Romania.
- Changing Gods: Rethinking Conversion in India by Rudolph C. Heredia, IJHI, vol.1, No. 2, 2008, Autumn-winter.
- Journey in to Islam, The Crisis of Globalization by Akbar Ahmad, Penguin/Viking, IJHI, Year 1, Vol.1, 2008, May-June.
- NGOs in India: A Cross-cultural Study by R. Sooryamoorthy and K.D. Gangrade, Greenwood Press, London. Sociological Bulletin, vol. 51, No. 2, Jan-April 2004.
- People’s Movement for Himalayan Rejuvenation by M.L.Dewan and Piyush Rautela, Concept Publishing, Delhi. Sociological Bulletin, vol. 51, No.2, Sept. 2002.
- Village Voice: Forty Years of Rural Transformation in South India by T.Scarlett Epstein, A.P.Suryanarayana and T. Thimmegowda, Sage Publication, Delhi. Sociological Bulletin, vol. 49, No. 2. September 2000.