Dr. Parag Waknis
Associate Professor , School of Liberal Studies
Ph.D in Economics, University of Connecticut, 2011. MPhil in Economics, CESP, JNU, 2000
- Assistant Professor of Economics, University of Massachusetts Dartmouth, MA, USA
September 2011 – December 2017
- Assistant Professor of Economics & International Trade, Kohinoor Business School, Khandala, India for B.Comm. India Program, Carleton University, Canada
June 2003 - July 2006
- Lecturer, SBB alias Appasaheb Jedhe College, Pune, India
August 2000 - April 2003
My Zone / Area of Expertise
Research and Teaching interests: Monetary Economics, Macroeconomics, Economics of Informality, Financial Economics.
Associate Editor, Journal of South Asian Development, Sage.
- Comparative Economic Studies, Palgrave MacMillan.
- Economic Modeling, The International Journal of Theoretical and Applied Papers on Economic Modelling, Elsevier.
- Revista Lecturas de Economía, Universidad De Antioquia, Colombia.
Economics Textbooks Review
- Acemoglu, Laibson, & List (2017), “Macroeconomics”, Pearson Education, Second Edition.
- Editor, RePec Biblio Topic: Political Economy of India.
- “Impact of Policy Shock”, The Book Review, October 2018.
Review of "Demonetisation and Black Economy" by C. Rammanohar Reddy, Orient BlackSwan.
- “On Monetary Economics”, Economic and Political Weekly, Vol. 53, Issue No. 28, July 14, 2018.
Review of “Monetary Policy in India: A Modern Macroeconomic Perspective” edited by Chetan Ghate and Kenneth M Kletzer, Springer.
- “Demonetisation through Segmented Markets: Some Theoretical Perspectives’’, in R. Ramakumar (Eds.), Note‐bandi: Demonetisation and India’s Elusive Chase for Black Money, Oxford University Press, December 2017.
- “Demonetisation through Segmented Markets: Some Theoretical Perspectives”, Economic and Political Weekly, Volume 52, Issue No. 9, 04 Mar, 2017.
- “The Deadweight Loss of Diwali: A Developing Country Perspective on Economics of Gift Giving (with Dr. Ajit Gaikwad), Economics Bulletin, Vol. 37 No. 1 pp. 530-538, 2017.
- “A Leviathan Central Bank: Modeling Seigniorage in a Money Search Model”, Economics Letters, Volume 125, Issue 3, December 2014, Pages 386-391.
- “A Political Economy of Sub-national Government Spending in India”, International Journal of Public Policy, Inderscience, Vol.10, No.1/2/3, 2014, pp.27-83.
- “Demonetisation and Cattle Slaughter Ban May Have Exacerbated India’s Cyclical Agrarian Crisis”, The Wire, July 7, 2017 https://thewire.in/153497/demonetisation-cattle-slaughter-ban-india-agrarian-crisis/ accessed on July 14, 2017. Reprinted by: Ideas for India
- “How India can reduce the size of its Black Economy”, The Wire, February 15, 2017 https://thewire.in/108325/black-economy-tax-evasion/, accessed on February 19, 2017 Reprinted by: Ideas for India, The Business Standard, The Indian Economist
- “Austerity or Fiscal Stimulus? On Modern Macroeconomics and the Importance of Context”, Economic and Political Weekly, November 02, 2013, Vol – XLVIII No. 44.
- “Macroeconomics Curricula in India and the US”, Economic and Political Weekly, March 31, 2012, VOL XLVIII, No. 13.
Seminar / Conferences
- Teaching of Economics, Panel Discussion, AUD Second Annual Conference on Economic Theory and Policy, March 2019.
- Global Financial Architecture: Issues and Concerns, Panel Discussion, ICRIER 10th Annual G20 Conference, October 2018.
- Currency Competition and Inflation in a New Monetarist Model, Shiv Nadar University, April 12, 2019.
- Payments Systems Shock under Goods and Financial Market Segmentation, Indian Statistical Institute, Indian Institute of Technology Delhi, October 23, 2018.
- Payments Systems Shock under Segmented Markets, Indian Statistical Institute, October 5, 2018.
- Payments Systems Shock under Goods and Financial Market Segmentation, South Asian University, September 7, 2018.
- Payments Systems Shock under Goods and Financial Market Segmentation, Indian Statistical Institute, Delhi School of Economics, August30, 2018.
- Currency Competition and Inflation in a New Monetarist Model, Delhi School of Economics Winter School, December 11, 2018.
- Demonetization as a Payments Systems Shock under Goods and Financial Market Segmentation, Seventh Delhi Macroeconomic Workshop, Indian Statistical Institute, October 26, 2018.