Dr. Dhiraj Kumar Nite
Assistant Professor , School of Liberal Studies
- Teaching, Supervision, Research and Course Design at Ambedkar University Delhi, December 2011 onwards.
- Post-doctoral Research Associate at Linnaeus University, Centre for Colonial and Post-colonial Studies, Sweden, January 2016-December 2016. Subject: Construction Business and Work Relations in India 1860-1869.
- Post-doctoral Research and Weekly-workshop Coordination Experiences from University of Johannesburg (UJ): Post-doctoral research project title ‘Mining Auto/Biographies: An oral history of the southern African mining people 1951-2011’.
- Doctorate from Jawaharlal Nehru University (JNU), New Delhi: Thesis title ‘Work and Culture on the Mines: Jharia Coalfields 1890s-1970’.
- Assistant Professor (Senior), Ambedkar University Delhi (AUD), 19 December 2011 onwards.
- Senior Research Associate, University of Johannesburg, South African Research Chair in Social Change, Bunting Road Campus, 2012 onwards.
My Zone / Area of Expertise
- History of Labour Relations, Wellbeing and Entrepreneurship
- Socio-Economic History of the Labour Processes and the Condition of Wellbeing; A Comparative Enquiry into Experiences of the Mining Communities in India (the Jharia Coalfields) and South Africa (Transvaal Coalfields); Methodology of Oral History, Memory Study, and Historical Anthropology.
Other Academic Distinction
- Research Fellow, Linnaeus University, Centre for Concurrencies in Colonial and Post-colonial Studies, January – December 2016.
- Senior Research Associate, University of Johannesburg (UJ), South African Research Chair in Social Change, December 2012 - December 2015.
- Post-Doctoral Fellowship, University of Johannesburg, South African Research Chair in Social Change, July 2010-June 2012.
- Sasakawa Young Leadership Fellowship (SYLFF) 2006-2009 (A fellowship managed at J.N.U. in the form of ‘Jawaharlal Nehru Young Leadership Fellowship’ for PhD) of Junior Research Fellowship from Indian Council of Historical Research (ICHR) 2004-2005.
- Independent Urban Research Scholarship from SARAI (CSDS) 2003-2004.
- Short-term Urban Research Stipend from SARAI (CSDS) 2002-2003.
- Contingency Grant for Field-Research from ICHR 2003-2004.
Dissertation and Thesis Supervised
- Nabhojeet Sen, ‘Convict Labour Regime in Colonial India, 1820-1870’, M.Phil. Dissertation submitted at Ambedkar University Delhi 2017.
- Peeyush Gaur, ‘From a Duck-Shooting Site to a National Park: A Study of Socio-Ecological Relationship at the Keoladeo Ghana Park’, M.Phil. Dissertation submitted at Ambedkar University Delhi 2015.
- Ruby Saini, ‘Claiming a Respectable Status: the Malis and Sainis in the Punjab, 1910-1970’, M.Phil. Dissertation submitted at Ambedkar University Delhi 2015.
- Nite, DK. ‘Negotiating the Mines: The Culture of Safety in the Indian Coalmines, 1895-1970’, Studies in History, Vol. 35 (1), 2019, pp. 88-118.
- Nite, DK. ‘The Colliery Town and Labour Migration: An Enquiry into the Modern-industrial Reproduction Arrangement in an Indian Coalfield, 1895-1970’, Public-Lecture Series 10, published by TISS Patna, September 2018.
- Nite, DK. ‘Employee Benefits, Migration and Social Movement: An Indian Coalfield, 1895-1970’, Labour History (Journal), DOI:10.1080/0023656X.2019.1537038, Online Published in November 2018.
- Nite, DK. ‘Archives, Being and Representation: Studies in the formation and usage of grassroots archives', Journal of Research Institute for Letters, Arts and Sciences (RILAS) (Waseda University, Japan), October 2018, Vol. 6. pp. 575-577. RILAS.
- DK, ‘A Fortune Maker: Life and the Business Practice of Joseph Stephens, India and Scandinavia 1869-69’, in Margareta Petersson (Ed.), Fran Britishka Indien till Huseby Bruk, Lund: Arkiv Forlog, 2018, pp. 135-166. ISBN:978-91-7924-304-3.
- Nite, DK. 'Labor, Wages, and Living Standards of Working People: Early Modern and Colonial India, 1600–1870', in Kristina Myrvold and Soniya Billore (Eds.), India: Research on Cultural Encounters and Representations, 2018, pp. 131-161.
- Stewart, P. and DK Nite, ‘From fatalism to Mass Action to Incorporation to Neoliberal Individualism: Worker safety on South African mines, c.1955–2016’, Review of African Political Economy, Vol. 44 (152), 2017, pp. 252-271.
- Nite, DK and Paul Stewart, ‘Consenting to Labour Appropriation?’: The Mineworker on South African Gold and Coalmines, 1951-2011’, Journal of Asian and African Studies, Vol. 52 (2), 2017, pp. 142-156.
- Nite, DK, ‘Worshiping the Colliery-goddess: An Exploration of the religious view of safety in Indian coalminers (Jharia), 1895-2009,’ Contribution to Indian Sociology, Vol. 50 (2), June 2016, pp. 163-186.
- Nite, DK, ‘Labour and Development: Historical Experiences,’ in IGNOU Books for MA in Labour and Development (Block II/ Conceptualising Labour – I, Unit IV), 2016.
- Nite, DK, ‘Refashioning Women’s Self and Mining: Homemakers and Producers on the South African Mines, 1976-2011’, Moving the Social: Journal of Social History and Social Movements, Vol. 54 (December), 2015, pp. 7-36.
- Nite, DK, ‘Wo/men Miner and Family-oriented Labour: An Indian Colliery (Jharia), Indian History: Journal of Archive India Institute, Vol. 2, 2015, pp. 1-36. http://archiveindia.in/indian-history
- Nite, DK, ‘Familist Movement and Social Mobility: Jharia Coalfields 1895-1970’, Indian Historical Review (Journal), Vol. 41, no. 2, December 2014, pp. 297-322.
- DK and P Stewart, ‘Revisiting the Moral Economy: The Mineworker in South African Minefields, 1951-2011’, Labour and Development (Journal), Vol. 21, no. 1, June 2014, pp. 24-44.
- Nite, DK, ‘Sharing Life-history and Other Memory: the mining persons in South Africa, 1951-2011’, South African Historical Journal, Vol. 66, No. 1, January 2014, pp. 122-141.
- Nite, DK, ‘Reproduction Preferences and Wages: The Mineworker in the Jharia Coalfield 1895-1970’, Studies in History (Journal), Vol. 30, No. 1, February 2014, pp. 55-87.
- Nite, DK, ‘Slaughter Mining and ‘Yielding Collier’: The Politics of Safety in Jharia Coalfields, 1895-1950’, pp. 105-128, in K Lahiri-Dutt (ed.), The Coal Nation: Histories, Cultures and Ecologies of Coal in India, (England: Ashgate, 2014). ISBN 978-1-4724-2470-9.
- Nite, DK and P Stewart, Mining Faces: An oral history of gold and coal mineworkers in South Africa 1951-2011, (Jacana Press, Johannesburg, 2012). ISBN971920196578.
- Nite, DK, ‘Work, Family and the Reproduction of Life: The Phase of Early Industrialisation in the Jharia Coalfields 1890—1940s’, 82-105, in Marcel Van der Linden and Prabhu P. Mohapatra (eds), Labour Matters: Towards Global Histories, (New Delhi: Tulika Books, 2009). ISBN 9788189487508.
Book Review and other popular essays
- Nite, DK. ‘Labour of Love: An unpaid unternship’, A review essay on Moira Weigel, Labour of Love: The Invention of Dating. New York: Farrar, Straus and Giroux Publisher, 2016. ISBN: 9780374713133. At TirchhiSpelling, 30 June 2017.
- Nite, DK. A Book Review of Sabyasachi Bhattacharya and Rana P. Behal (Eds.), The Vernacularisation of Labour Politics, New Delhi: Tulika Books, 2016. In Labour and Development (Journal), Vol. 23 (1), June 2016, pp. 136-144.
- Nite, DK. ‘Plantation Capitalism and the Working People’, A Review Essay on Rana P Behal, One Hundred Years of Servitude: Political Economy of Tea Plantations in Colonial Assam, Delhi: Tulika Books, 2014. ISBN-10: 9382381430. Price - Rs 900. Seminar Magazine, June 2016.
- Nite, DK. ‘Bollywood Within and Without: A reading of Tanu Weds Manu Returns (a Feature Film),’ Economic and Political Weekly, Vol. L No. 25, June 20, 2015.
- Nite, DK, A Book Review published in Economic and Political Weekly, Vol. - XLIX No. 15, April 12, 2014: Alexander, Peter, T. Lekgowa, B. Mmope, L. Sinwell, and B. Xezwi, 2013. Marikana: A view from the mountain and a case to answer, Johannesburg: Jacana Media. ISBN 978-1-4314-0733-0. PP. 210, Rand 120.
- Nite, DK, Book Review published in Studies in History, Vol. 28 (2) 2012: Balachandran, G. Globalising Labour? Indian Seafarers and World Shipping, 1870-1945, New Delhi: OUP, 2012.
- Nite, DK, ‘The World of Lascars’, Economic and Political Weekly, Vol. XLVIII, no 34, August 24, 2013.
- Nite, DK, Ruhr Mining Museum: An Institution of the Post-industrial Society’, Economic and Political Weekly, Vol. XLIX, 2, January 2, 2014.
- Nite, DK, ‘Showcasing a Proletarian Past: The Prague Communist Museum’, Economic and Political Economy, Vol. XLVIII, 48, November 30. 2013.
- Nite, DK, ‘The Wage Struggle at Marikana: The South African Platinum Industry, 2012,’ 24 September 2012. Published at http://www.socialsciencecollective.org/wage-struggle-marikana-mine-workers/
- Nite, DK, ‘Premchand Ki Dalit Kahaniya: Ek Samajshastriye Adhyan,’ Jan Vikalp, March 2007.
- Nite, DK, Book Review published in Labour and Development (Journal), Vol. 12 (2), August 2006: Labour Geographies: Workers and the Landscape of Capitalism, New York: 2001, ISBN-10: 1572306858.
- Nite, DK. ‘Becoming South African Citizens: An Exposition of the Formation of Political Identity between the Indian Diaspora’, April 2014. Published at https://tirchhispelling.wordpress.com/2014/04/29/becoming-south-african-citizens-dhiraj-k-nite/
- Project Report
- Nite, DK. ‘Labour Practices, Wages and Welfare Ratios: The Construction Workers in an Indian Region, 1860-1868’. A Project report submitted to Ambedkar University Delhi under the scheme of ‘Seed Grants’ 2017-18.
- Nite, DK and P Stewart, Mining Faces: An oral history of gold and coal mineworkers in South Africa 1951-2011, (A Project of South African Research Chair in Social Change (University of Johannesburg) for the 9th International Mining History Congress, Johannesburg 2012).
- Nite, DK. ‘Precarious Life, Terrible Work: The Jharia Coalfields 1890s -1970’, A report of the Independent Research Project, submitted at the V.V. Giri National Labour Research Institute (Noida). 2008-2010.
Seminar / Conferences
A List of Conference Proceedings of those Attended and Organised:
- Nite, DK. Discussant of a panel on ‘the Migrant and the State: Colonialism to Neoliberalism’, A Conference organised by TISS Patna, 29-November – 1 December 2018.
- Nite, DK. ‘Grassroots Archives: A Japanese Experience’, Panel at the Conference of Association of Asian Studies, New Delhi, 6-8 July 2018.
- Nite, DK. ‘Labour Practice, Wages, and Welfare Ratio: The Indian Subcontinent 1860-1868’, Presented at the International Conference of Association of Indian Labour Historians (New Delhi), March 2018.
- Nite, DK. ‘Whatever Happened to Worktime: Manufacturing of Industriousness on the Indian Mines, 1895-1970’, Presented a Conference on Money and Time, Gottingen University, 17-18 December 2017.
- Nite, DK. ‘Labour, Wages, and Levels of Living: The Indian Subcontinent 1860-1868’, Presented at the Workshop of Centre for Colonial and Postcolonial Studies, Linnaeus University (Sweden), 9-10 December 2017.
- Nite, DK, ‘Worker Housing and the Politics of Reproduction: Colliery mineworkers in India and South Africa, circa 1940s−1950s’, Presented at the Conference of French Network of South Asian Studies, Paris (France) 25-28 June 2017.
- Nite, DK. ‘Labour, Wages, and Levels of Living: The Indian Subcontinent 1600-1870’, Presented at The Conference on Ambedkar’s Contribution to Indian Politics and Society at DAV College Amritsar, on 17 March 2017.
- Nite, DK. ‘A Fortune Maker: Life and business of Joseph Stephens, India and Scandinavia 1860-1869’, presented at the Centre for Concurrencies in Colonial and Postcolonial Studies, Linnaeus University (Sweden), on 15 December 2016.
- Nite, DK. ‘Labour Practice, Wage and the Welfare Ratio: The Construction Worker in India (Maharashtra), 1860-68’, A Presentation at the Centre for Modern Indian Studies, Gottingen University, Germany, on 15 November 2016.
- Nite, DK. ‘Employee Benefits and the Migrant Workers: The Indian Coalfield (Jharia), 1895-1970’, presented at the Conference of Association of Indian Labour Historians, New Delhi (Noida), 21-23 March 2016.
- DK. ‘Claiming the Mining Sense: The Mining Persons in South African Gold and Coalmines, 1952-2012,’ Presented at the Symposium on Pushing the Boundaries, Mabula Lodge (Limpopo, South Africa), 24-26 June 2015.
- Nite, DK. ‘Wo/men Mineworkers and Family-oriented Labour: Indian Colliers 1895-1948’, presented at the International Mining History Congress, Charters Tower (Australia), 6-11 July, 2014.
- Nite, DK, ‘Revisiting the Labour Economy: The Mineworker in South African Minefields, 1951-2011’, presented at the ‘Symposium on Politics of Social Change and Social Change in Politics’, Johannesburg, 2-4 July 2014.
- DK, ‘Appropriation of Labour? The Mineworkers in South African Gold and Coal Mines, 1951-2011’, presented at the International Conference on ‘Labour History: Return to Politics?’, Delhi (Noida), 22-24 March 2014.
- DK, ‘‘This roof will collapse and offices will be closed if the woman is here’: Experiences of safety and women on the gold and coal mines in South Africa’, presented at the Digging Treasure Conference, Essen (Germany), 21-23 November 2013.
- Nite, DK, ‘Wages for Work: An examination of the production preferences of mineworkers in Jharia Coalfields 1895-1970’, presented at the Sixth Global Studies Conference, 5-7 September 2013, New Delhi.
- Nite, DK, Part of a team responsible for organizing the 9th International Mining History Congress (IMHC), Johannesburg 2012, April 17-20.
- Nite, DK, ‘Whatever Happened to Work-time: An examination of the nature of the Industrious Revolution, Jharia Coalfield 1895-1970’, presented at the IMHC 2012 and Asian Historical Economists’ Congress, Hitotsubashi University (Japan), September 2012.
- Nite, DK, ‘Narratives of Mining Life: The contribution of life history to mining history on the South African mines, 1951-2011’, presented at the International Conference of Association of Indian Labour Historians (AILH), VV Giri National Labour Institute (Noida), 22-24 March 2012.
- Nite, DK, ‘Classifying Accidents: The Meaning of Work Hazards, Jharia Coalfields 1900 – 1970’, presented at the Interdisciplinary-Net Conference of the Value of Work, Prague: October 31- November 2, 2011.
- Nite, DK, ‘The Foundation of Wages: an examination of the reproduction and productiveness debate, Jharia coalfield, 1890s-1970’, presented at the South Asian Conference on the Politics of Poverty and Poverty of the Politics, Goettingen University, July 5-8, 2011.
- Nite, DK, ‘Reproduction Culture in the Coal Town: A study of family life and memory of miners, Jharia Coalfields 1920s – 1960s’, presented at the Workshop ‘Summer Academy: 'Work and Human Lifecycle in Global History’, Point Sud. Center for Research on Local Knowledge, Bamako/ Mali, November 1 - 9, 2010.
- DK, ‘Negotiating the Mines: The Politics of Safety in the Jharia Coalfields 1890s-1960s’, International Conference of Association of Indian Labour Historians, VV Giri Labour Institute Noida (Delhi), March 2010.
- Nite, DK, ‘Long Day, Flexible Hours: An enquiry into the Work, Time and Politics, Jharia Coalfields 1890s–1920s’, (New Delhi: Conference of Association of Labour Historians, March 2006.
- Nite, DK, ‘Women and Work: an enquiry into the prohibition of women’s underground mining’, (New Delhi: Conference of Association of Indian Labour Historians and International Social History Review, November 1-3, 2005).
- Nite, DK. ‘Employee Benefits, Migration and Social Struggles: An Indian Coalfield, 1895-1970’, A Talk delivered at TISS Patna and Patna University, 19 April 2018.
- Nite, DK. ‘A Fortune Maker: Life and the Business Practice of Joseph Stephens: India and Scandinavia 1860-1868’, A Talk delivered at Huseby Estate Museum (Sweden), on 11 December 2017.
- Nite, DK. ‘Labour Practices, Wages, and Living Standards: The Indian Subcontinent 1600-1870’, A Talk Delivered at Rajdhani College (University of Delhi), on 29 March 2017.
- Nite, DK, ‘Memory, Sources and Historical Analysis’, Five Lectures Delivered at Tezpur University (Sociology Department), 12-16 October 2015.
- Nite, DK, ‘Globalisation and Liberalisation: Impacts on Labouring Life and Labour Movement’, Mahendergarh: Central University of Haryana (Law Department), May 1, 2015.
- Nite, DK, ‘Approach to ‘A New Labour History’ in South Asia’, at Academic Staff College, Jawaharlal Nehru University, 13 October 2014.
- Nite, DK, ‘Nelson Mandela: Gandhi of South Africa’, at St Froebel Higher Secondary School, Paschim Vihar, Delhi, 18 October 2014.
- Nite, DK, ‘The Rise of Industrial Elites in India: A discussion on three forms of entrepreneurship’, at Indian Institute of Management Rohtak (PhD Programme), 21-22 July 2014.