Dr. Arindam Banerjee
Associate Professor , School of Liberal Studies
PhD, Jawaharlal Nehru University
- Consultant in Research and Information System in Developing Countries, New Delhi (January, 2010 to March, 2011).
- Assistant Professor in Centre for Development Studies, Trivandrum, Kerala, India (July, 2008 to December, 2009).
- Senior Economist at Economic Research Foundation, New Delhi, India in 2007-08.
My Zone / Area of Expertise
I teach courses on economic history, theories of value and distribution and agrarian development. My research is primarily in the areas of agrarian development, colonialism, political economy, food security, poverty and bio-fuels. I have published on the agrarian crisis in India, global food crisis, corn-ethanol and food-feed-fuel competition, food policy in India, colonial historiography among other. I have also worked as external consultants to multi-lateral organizations like IFAD and FAO.
- Banerjee, A (edited along with C. P. Chandrasekhar) (2018) Dispossession, Deprivation and Development: Essays for Utsa Patnaik, Tulika Books, New Delhi, ISBN: 978-81-937329-1-5
- Chapter in Books
- Banerjee, A (with Ishan Anand) (2019) The NDA-II regime and the Worsening Agrarian Crisis’ in A Quantum Leap in the Wrong Direction? ed. By Rohit Azad, Shouvik Chakraborty, Srinivasan Ramani and Dipa Sinha, Orient Blackswan, India
- Banerjee, A. (2017) ‘Agrarian Crisis and Accumulation in Rural India’ in ‘The Land Question in India: State, Dispossession and Capitalist Transition’ ed by Anthony P. D’Costa and Achin Chakraborty, Oxford University Press, April
- Banerjee, A. (2012) ‘From Agrarian Crisis to Global Economic Crisis: Neo-liberalism and the Indian peasantry’ in the book ‘The Global Crisis and Transformative Social Change’ (eds.) Rebecca Buchholz, Shahra Razavi and Peter Utting, Palgrave Macmillan. April
- Banerjee, A. (2011) ‘Reviewing the Global Food Crisis: Magnitude, Causes, Impact and Policy Options’ in B. N. Ghosh edited ‘Global Food Crisis. Genesis, Magnitude, Impact and Policy Options’, Wisdom Books, United Kingdom, October
- Banerjee, A. (along with K. N. Nair) (2011) ‘Structural Changes in Land Distribution and Its Implications for Improving Access to Land’ in D. Narayana and Raman Mahadevan (eds) ‘Shaping India: Land, Population, Institutions and State in Historical Perspective’, Routledge, CDS, Trivandrum, April
- Banerjee, A. (2015) ‘‘Contestations of Food Subsidy Policy: Examining the High Level Committee Recommendations’, Social Scientist, Vol. 43(7/8), pp: 41-57
- Banerjee, A. (2015). ‘Neoliberalism and its Contradictions for Rural India: Some Insights from India’. Development and Change, Vol. 46(4), pp: 1010-1022
- Banerjee, A (with Chirashree Das Gupta and Surajit Mazumder) (2015) ‘Historiography sans History’, Economic and Political Weekly, Vol. 50 No.35, August
- Banerjee, A. (2011) ‘Food, Feed, Fuel: Transforming the Competition for Grains’, Development and Change, Vol 42. No 2.: 529-57, March
- Banerjee, A. (2009) ‘Peasant Classes under Neo-liberalism: A Class Analysis of Two states’, Economic and Political Weekly, Vol. 44(15), April 11
- Banerjee, A. (2009) ‘Impact of the Financial Crisis on the Rural Economy in India: Intensification of the Agrarian Distress?’ Indian Journal of Politics and International Relations, Vol.2 No.1, Jan-Jun
Book Reviews (selected)
- Banerjee, A. (2018) ‘Challenging Theoretical Hegemonies’: Review of ‘Handbook of Alternative Theories of Economic Development ed. by Erik S. Reinert, Jayati Ghosh and Rainer Kattel, The Book Review, Vol 42. No. 10, October
- Banerjee, A. (2018) ‘Political Economy of Capital Accumulation’: Review of ‘State and Capital in Independent India: Institutions and Accumulation’ by Chirashree Das Gupta in The Book Review, Vol 42. No. 3, March
- Banerjee, A. (2017) ‘Making Sense of the Agrarian Question’: Review of ‘Critical Perspectives on Agrarian Transition: India in the Global Debate’ ed. By B. B. Mohanty, Economic and Political Weekly, Vol 52 No. 29, July 22
- Banerjee, A (2014) ‘Valuing land’, Review of The Price of Land: Acquisition, Conflict, Consequence by Sanjoy Chakravorty, Oxford University Press, New Delhi, 2013, in The Book Review, Vol. 38, No. 9, September
- Banerjee, A (2013) Review of Vipin Sharma (Ed.), State of India’s Livelihoods Report 2012, An Access Publication, New Delhi: SAGE Publications, 2013, South Asia Economic Journal, Vol14.(2), May
Other Writings (selected)
- Banerjee, A. (2016) ‘Demonetization: Illusory Gains, Enduring Losses’, Macroscan, 18 November, available at http://www.macroscan.org/dem/nov16/pdf/Enduring_Damages.pdf
- Banerjee (2015) ‘Sam Moyo: A Scholar for the Oppressed’, Social Scientist, Vol 43. No. 11/12, December
- Banerjee, A. (2015) 'Land Acquisition, Primitive Accumulation and the State', Vikalp, April 17, available at http://www.vikalp.ind.in/2015/04/land-acquisition-primitive-accumulation.html
- Banerjee, A. (2007) ‘From Famines to Food Surplus: The Malawi Experience’, IDEAs News Analysis, December 10, available at http://www.networkideas.org/news/dec2007/news10_%20Malawi.htm
Seminar / Conferences
- Presented the paper ‘Dissecting the Agrarian Crisis in India’ in the conference on ‘Political Economy of Contemporary India, 3rd edition’ organized by Indira Gandhi Institute of Development Research, Mumbai on 8th January, 2019
- Presented the paper ‘The Longer Food Crisis and Consequences for Economic theory and Policy in the South’ in the Sam Moyo Memorial Conference organized by Centre for Informal Sector and Labour Studies, Jawaharlal Nehru University, New Delhi, 21-23 February, 2018
- Presented the paper ‘Understanding the roots of the global food crisis: A political economy analysis’ in the workshop ‘The Political economy of the Crisis and Economic Restructuring: History, Dynamics, Implications and Lessons’ organized by the CeSA/CSG/ISEG at the School of Economic and Management, University of Lisbon, Portugal, 12-13th October, 2017
- Presented on ‘Indian and Asia-Africa Growth Corridor’ in the 4th South-South Forum on Sustainability organised by Global U, ARENA and Cultural Studies Department, Lingnan University, Hong Kong, 4-6th July, 2017
- Presentation On ‘Food Security and Nutrition Programmes Implementation: An International Perspective’ in the Food security and Nutrition Forum organized by the University of Central Asia, Kyrgyzstan on 6th December, 2016, Bishkek, Kyrgyzstan
- Presented the paper ‘Changing Paradigms of Food Security Policy in India: Contestations over ‘Welfare’ under Economic Reforms’ in the XI Annual International Conference on Public Policy organized by the Centre for Public Policy, IIM, Bangalore, August 8-10, 2016
- Speaker at the Seminar on ‘Does India need a pulses revolution?’ organized by Department of Geography, Miranda House, University of Delhi, February 16, 2016
- Presented a paper titled-‘Understanding Contemporary Geo-politics through the lens of Food Security: A political economy analysis’ at the International Conference “From the Thirty Years Crisis to Multipolarity: The Evolution of Geo-political economy in the 21st century world” organized by University of Manitoba, Winnipeg, Canada, 25-27, September, 2015.
- Presented a paper titled-‘Global Inequality and Food Insecurity in Developing Countries: Drivers and Dimensions’ at the World Social Science Forum 2015 (13-16 September), Durban, South Africa.
- Presented a paper titled-‘Food Subsidy Policy under Neo-liberalism in India: Where are we headed to?’ at National Seminar on ‘Food and Nutrition Security: Role of State’, University of Hyderabad, 30-31st March, 2015
- Presented a paper titled-‘Food Security and Food Subsidy Policy in India: Implication for Food-deficit Regions’ at National Conference on ‘Kerala Economy: Challenges and Way Forward’, Mahatma Gandhi University. Kottayam, 28-19th March, 2015
- Presented a paper titled-‘Peasant Classes, Accumulation and Agrarian Crisis in India: Locating Land-Acquisition within the Agrarian Question’ in the conference ‘The Return of the Land Question: Dispossession, Livelihoods, and Contestation in India’s Capitalist Transition organized by IIM, Kolkata, IDSK and Faculty of Arts and Australia India Institute, University of Melbourne held on Mar 4-6, 2014 at Kolkata
- Presented a paper titled-‘From Agrarian Crisis to Food Crisis: Interrogating some Global Inter-linkages’ in the Foundation for Agrarian Studies Tenth Anniversary Conference held on Jan 9-12, 2014 at Kochi
- Participated in the 1st South-South Forum for Sustainability co-organized by Renmin University Beijing and Lingnan University, Hong Kong. Delivered a lecture on ‘The Impact of Neo-liberalism on the Indian Peasantry’ in the Plenary Session on ‘Macro-economic Policies and Critical Evaluation’ on 12 December, 2011 at Lingnan University, Tuen Mun, Hong Kong
- Presented the paper titled-'Peasant Classes and Patterns of Accumulation under Neo-liberalism in India' in the conference 'Land, Labour and Livelihoods- A Focus on the Global South' organized by SDS, AUD on 25-26 November, 2011
- Presented paper titled-'Patterns of Labour Exploitation and Accumulation under Neo-liberalism: A peasant-class approach’ at the Conference on ‘Accumulation, Immiserisation and Development’ organized by the Centre for Economic Studies and Planning, Jawaharlal Nehru University, New Delhi on March 7-9, 2011.
- Rapporteur in the conference on ‘New Directions for Smallholder Agriculture’ organized by the International Fund for Agricultural Development (IFAD) held at the IFAD Headquarters in Rome, Italy on 24 - 25 January, 2011.
- Presented a paper titled-‘Identification of the Poor in the context of the National Food Security Bill’ at the National Symposium on ‘Social Attributes of Exclusion & Poverty in Rural India: Issues for Identification and Inclusive Policy’ organized by the UGC Centre for Study of Social Exclusion And Inclusive Policy, University Of Rajasthan on 12-13 Jan, 2011, Jaipur
- Presented a paper titled-‘Structural Changes in Land Distribution and Its Implications for Improving Access to Land’ at the National Seminar on ‘Land Policies for Accelerated and Inclusive Rural Growth’ organized by Rural Development Institute and Council for Social Development on 9-10 November, 2010 at India International Centre, New Delhi
- Participant at the WTO/ESCAP Sixth ARTNeT Capacity Building Workshop for Trade Research organized by ARTNeT, WTO and ESCAP in collaboration with the National University of Laos on 21-25 June, 2010, Vientiane, Laos.
- Presented a paper titled-‘The ‘New’ Competition for Grains: Implications of grain-based bio-fuels for Cereal-Use Equilibrium’ at the Young Scholars’ Seminar organized by Centre for Economic Studies and Planning, Jawaharlal Nehru University on March 14-15, 2010, New Delhi.
- Presented a paper titled-‘Trade in Agricultural Goods and Inclusive Development’ at the Workshop on Trade, Investment and Regional Integration: Lessons for Policymakers organized by Ministry of Commerce & Industry, Government of India and Asia-Pacific Research and Training Network on Trade (ARTNeT), United Nations Economic and Social Commission for Asia and the Pacific (UNESCAP) on March 11-12, 2010, New Delhi.
- Presented paper titled ‘Emerging Constraints on Smallholder Agriculture in Developing Countries under Neo-liberalism and Impact of the Global Crisis: Evidence from the rural economy in India’ presented at the International Conference organized by the UNRISD on ‘Social and Political Dimensions of the Global Crisis: Implications for Developing Countries’ on the 12–13 November 2009 at the Palais des Nations, Geneva, Switzerland
- Presented Paper titled ‘Global Financial Crisis and Job-loss: Implications for the Rural Economy’ at the National Seminar organized by the Centre for Trade, Development and Governance (C-TDG), School of international Relations and Politics, Mahatma Gandhi University on ‘Global Financial Crisis: Implications for India’ at Kottayam, Kerala, India on 12-13th, January, 2009.
- Presented paper titled ‘Neo-Liberal Economic Policy and Peasant Classes: The question of farm profitability and indebtedness in Indian agriculture’ at International Workshop and Conference organised by IDEAS on ‘Policy Perspectives on Growth, Economic Structures and Poverty Reduction’ held at Beijing, China, 3-9 June, 2007
Panel Discussions/Invited lectures (Selected)
- Panelist in the Discussion ‘Peasants, Policy and the Polls: Deepening Agrarian Crisis and the Way Ahead’ organized by Centre for Equity Studies in collaboration with India International Centre and The Wire at India International Centre on 23rd April, 2019
- Speaker in the Panel Discussion ‘Current Geo-Political Flux: Challenge or Opportunity’ organized by IMT, Ghaziabad, 8th August, 2018
- Delivered the Keynote Address in the inaugural sessions of the two workshops ‘Teaching Economics in a Changing World’ organized by DPSS-HRD at DPS Dwarka campus on 24th July, 2018 and 28th August, 2018
- Delivered 3 lectures ‘Colonial Roots of the Indian economy and its Transition’ (27 June, 2018), ‘Indian Agriculture under Economic Reforms’ (16 July, 2018) and ‘Food Security and Nutrition in India: Some Policy Debates’ (18 July, 2018) in the International Summer School, New Delhi organized by the Centre for Escalation of Peace in June-July, 2018
- Delivered 3 e-lectures for Global University of Sustainability (Global U) at Lingnan University, Hong Kong. The lectures were ‘Transition to Underdevelopment: the colonial experience in India’ (7th July, 2017), ‘The Development Trajectory in post-independent India: Challenges and Contradictions’ (8th July, 2017) and ‘Neo-liberalism and the new contradictions of development in India’ (8th July, 2017). The lectures are available at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TeK10eJWoIM, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-thPvnzs6XY and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xp6esyGjYbc
- Delivered the lecture ‘The Agrarian Question in Contemporary India: Implications for Industrialization' in the Capacity Building Programme ‘Industrialization, Corporate Sector and Development’ organised by the Institute for Studies in Industrial Development, New Delhi, 29th May, 2017
- Delivered the lecture ‘Political Management and Food Security’ in the ‘Induction level training programme’ for IES Officer-trainees organized by Institute of Economic Growth, March 18, 2016, New Delhi
- Delivered the lecture ‘Dynamics of Food security in the Global Context’ in the capacity building program for Foreign Researchers and Scholars on International Economic Issues and Development Policy (IEIDP) organized by Research and Information System and Ministry of External Affairs, February 17, 2016, New Delhi
- Panelist in Discussion on ‘Analyzing the Budget 2014 from a Farmers’ perspective’ organized by Bharat Krishak Samaj at India International Centre Annexe, New Delhi on 18th July, 2014.
- Panelist in Discussion on ‘Land Rights and Access to Justice’ in the National Consultation on Inequality in India: Major Dimensions and Policy Challenges organized be Centre for Budget Governance and Accountability in New Delhi, Mar 25, 2014.
- Lecture on 'Food security in India' in Refresher Course on Economics, Academic Staff College, JNU, January, 2013
- Lecture on 'Global Food Crisis and Hunger-Incidence' in Refresher Course in Human Rights and Social Inclusion at Academic Staff College, Jamia Milia Islamia, Aug, 2012
- Public Lecture on ‘Global food Crisis: Magnitude and Causes’ at the Central University of Punjab, India on 20th April, 2012
- Panel Discussion on ‘Debating Indian Poverty’ organized by Faculty of Economics, South Asian University, New Delhi on 16th Apr, 2012
- Participated in a panel discussion on ‘Diversification and De-carbonization’ at the ESCAP/WTO/UNCTAD/ARTNeT Research Workshop on ‘Trade Diversification in the Context of Global Challenges’ held at Economic Research Institute of Trade (ERIT) on 27-29 October, 2010 at Vientiane, Laos